October 30, 2011

Skydiving.

Well, I can officially cross "skydiving when I turn eighteen" off my bucket list!
This has been number one on my list for a few years now, and it feels amazing to cross it off!
From the moment I opened my eyes, up until the second I jumped out of that plane today I was chill, calm, had no nerves, and was just READY!
And let me tell you, it was the most amazing thing I've ever done.
You wouldn't believe how thrilling and exciting it is.
The entire experience was perfect.
I jumped with my sweetheart and big brother (not actually related to me) Spencer, and we had a huge group of amazing family and friends supporting us on the ground.
We were in group eight (the very last group to jump of the day) and there was only one other guy with us. First out, and super nice. 
My instructor was from Australia and incredibly nice and was pumping us up from the beginning. Because we were the last group of the day we got to sit and watch the first seven groups jump and land. One of the most amazing parts is the camera men and women. They pull their shoots way after you to get to the ground fast to film you coming in to land. They glide in SO fast and land SO gracefully. While we were watching everyone land, there was this super tall and funny camera guy in a flame jumpsuit. He was hilarious and pumping the people he was assigned to jump with up an insane amount. The whole time people were saying "Becca! I hope you get flame on, or flame pants, or hot pants..." Yeah, we gave him a lot of nicknames. I thought "Na, I can't get a great instructor AND an amazing camera man." Guess what? I did. He called my name super loud and I got so excited. He immediately started joking with me and pumping me more up than I already was.
I wanted to be the first one out of the plane, but got in first so of COURSE I was the last out!  
(If at first you don't succeed, you probably shouldn't be skydiving..." Written inside our airplane. Cute!) 
Everyone keeps asking "How would you do that if you're scared of heights?" 
WELL, you actually have zero perception of how high you are! You get up there and can't even think because of how beautiful everything is. 
My toes got to the edge and I did it...I just jumped!
We went head first and it was insane. 
I literally felt like I was invincible.
 70 seconds of free falling. 15,000 feet. Highest tandem jump in California. 
I did it.
You don't think "Uh oh, why are we STILL falling? Will the chute open? What if I'm going to end up a pancake? Brr, it's freezing! My ears wont stop popping..."
Not even one of those came to mind once I was falling. 
It was beautiful, and bright, and a blast.
My Camera man was entertaining me by playing the big flirt.
He flirted with me on the ground, in the plane, then in the sky, and then on the ground again. He blew me a thousand kisses and even got close and puckered in the air! (I'm sure my face was as bright as the big S on my shirt...P.S. we got ten dollars off for wearing a costume.)
Once the chute was pulled, the camera man kept spinning down and it was just Andy (my instructor) and I and a whole lot of sky.
It's super windy and loud when you're falling, but once that chute opens and you're gliding it is the quietest and most peaceful thing I've ever experienced. I got to steer the chute by holding onto the big yellow handles...
Andy (in his cute Aussie accent): "Would you like to steer the chute?"
Me: "Yes!"
Andy: "Okay, take these in both hands, if you want to do some crazy spins, pull down on the left and go up with the right..."
Me: "OKAY." 
Instantly we were spinning. So much fun.
Then we floated and chilled for a few more seconds and then landed. Just like that it was over. Did I really just jump out of a plane?
Yes, yes I did.
Question: Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?
Answer: If you haven't done it, you wouldn't know!
It was the best time I've had yet. 
I loved it. I will do it again, and cannot wait.
(Flirty camera man holding my hand)
(Psyched)
The group.


No comments:

Post a Comment