May 14, 2011

Justin Bieber inspired




Sure, it's one in the morning but that's okay. I'm up, not tired, and didn't blog earlier today. Not quite sure how I'm still functioning though. Today was a long day. I had to ride in the car to Fresno and back for my schools senior exit interview. We've spent our senior year putting together a portfolio of our best work from our past four years of high school, and we had to be asked a certain list of questions to get our cap and gown. (Which we all did. Phew.)  Well. I was really nervous before the interview. I'm not necessarily a huge extrovert and it takes me a while to warm up to someone new before I can be completely at ease in their presence. However, once again, I worried myself over nothing and it was a total breeze. It went great, and I really related to the two people who asked me my questions. 
 
Well. Today Satan started to creep into my head and heart. Big time. One of the questions (obviously) was about what we were going to do after high school. I'm going to Gavilan Community College. I'm only going long enough (just two years) to get my AA in business and my Cosmetology license. Every time someone asks me the "What's next?" question, I've actually started to become more and more ashamed of my answer. Most of my senior class wants to go on and do BIG things...I mean super important, changing others lives sort of things: Nurses, Psychologists, Doctors, Marine Biologist, Pastors starting churches, English majors, etc...and I want to be a Cosmetologist. "Umm hello Becc, you're not going to change anyone's life with being a cosmetologist" is what I've been hearing lately. Sometimes I completely believe it, and sometimes I don't.

I want to a cosmetologist to help other women and their confidence issues.  The past two years I have suffered from eating disorders and also not liking how I look.  Most of my life I have wished to be invisible because I knew I didn’t meet society’s standards of what “beautiful” was.  Society these days puts a lot of pressure on girls specifically to look perfect and flawless – something that isn’t even attainable.  I want to be a cosmetologist so that I can outweigh the negative effects of society in young and even old women’s lives.  I want to help boost confidence levels in the lives of women.  Battling the pressure of society is not easy and is something that I have to deal with every single day along with possibly every other women around.  If at all possible, I want to make a difference in other women’s lives and help them see that they are beautiful and made in the image of God.  I am willing to work hard and push myself out of my comfort zone to achieve this goal.  I want women to see that they are beautiful and deserve to feel like it.

Well, tonight I watched Justin Bieber’s new movie Never Say Never (okay if you have NOT seen it, then justhush if you’re judgin’ because it’s actually incredible and he has an amazing story. He’s super inspiring!) Here’s this young boy with really big dreams and goals. He’s actually achieved them. (I mean selling out Madison Square Garden in twenty-two minutes is kind of a big deal, right?) I figured if Justin Bieber can do that, then I can be a kick-ass Cosmetologist and shoot for the stars!  There’s a lot of stuff I could go into with Cosmetology, but I have for sure decided that I want to movie set make-up/hair. It sounds easy but think about it…movies aren’t all shot in ONE setting. Sometimes, one scene can be broken up into many weeks worth of shooting, and with that the actors/actresses have to look the exact same! Their make-up and hair both have to be precisely the same each time they shoot and it’s actually pretty tricky to do so. I’m a perfectionist, and I totally love the idea of a challenge each and every day.  So boo-yah Satan! Take that. Even if I don’t have the most significant and feel good job in the entire world, I know that it’s what I’m supposed to being doing, because I’m good at it and love it.  I cannot wait to get started

 Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad we stayed up way to late together to watch this. He is a very talented young man and the movie was very inspiring! I'm not sure why you feel bad about telling people you want to be a cosmetologist. It was probably that ignorant man who came to your school and told you there was no money in that field! What a dufus! Obviously his wife cuts his hair and he is absolutely clueless to how much a decent haircut, color or perm even costs! BUT money is not the main reason to choose your career. What are you passionate about, what are you good at? Is this God's calling on my life? These are the things that matter most of all. I can totally see you ministering to each and every person who sits in your chair. You WILL boost their confidence as you make them pretty on the outside but more than that, you will speak words of life and truth to them that will make their hearts pretty too! I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca being a cosmetologist is a holy and wonderful calling. In every job there is a special opportunity to touch people around you. You can make a difference!!! You need to read a great book called Kabul Beauty School. A cosmetologist who really changed a lot of lives.... like none other.

    Katy Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me tear up! I hate that you feel that your career path is not as good as someone else's! I am inspired by how you have your whole path planned out. I am amazed by the heart that God has given you, and how much I have seen you grow in your relationship with him. Being a nurse or marine biologist is no more important than what you want to do. You will be a great cosmetologist! Be proud of your passion! I love you!

    ReplyDelete